Manchester United-West Ham United Preview
Ole Gunnar Solskjaer appreciates the expectations on his Manchester United side are high as they return to Premier League action against West Ham.
United are unbeaten in 28 away top-flight games - the longest run in English league history - conceding just 19 goals in the process.
They have also won their last two meetings with Sunday's opponents as they go in search of a third consecutive win against West Ham for the first time since 2014.
However, following a surprise 2-1 Champions League loss to Young Boys on Tuesday, Solskjaer acknowledged his side need to respond on Sunday.
"They're focused of course, a little bit disappointed but not too downbeat. We know it's a setback and we have to do better, and we've got five games to get the 10 to 12 points we need," Solskjaer told reporters.
"(It's) not the start we wanted but we're a good team that can bounce back again and the group is very good."
West Ham will of course be going up against Cristiano Ronaldo on Sunday, and David Moyes is also without his star forward Michail Antonio, who is suspended.
Once he returns to action, Moyes is hopeful Antonio carries on his progression into a clinical forward in the mould of Ronaldo.
"I hope that we can turn Michail Antonio into a killer of a goalscorer like him, because Ronaldo also started out as a wide player and ended up becoming a terrific number nine," Moyes said.
"I hope that we can do the same with Mich in the years to come.
"Ronaldo's an excellent player and his return has brought another level of excitement to the Premier League. We'll do everything we can to keep him quiet."
West Ham - Declan Rice
Declan Rice has built on his impressive Euro 2020 by making a brilliant start to the season for West Ham, and he scored a wonderful solo goal in the Europa League on Thursday. The midfielder has often been mooted as a possible target for United.
Manchester United - Jesse Lingard
Lingard enjoyed a brilliant spell on loan at West Ham last season, scoring nine goals in 16 league appearances. The Hammers have had the most different players score both for and against them in the competition (46 - excl. OGs), with Lingard potentially adding to this list.
- Paul Pogba has seven assists in the Premier League this season, more than in his previous two campaigns combined (six) and a record four games into a campaign in the competition. Indeed, only two players have had as many as seven assists in their team's first five games - Thierry Henry in 2004-05 and Harry Kane last season.
- Ronaldo was involved in six goals in his last four Premier League appearances against West Ham in his first spell in the competition (five goals, one assist). However, only against Chelsea (four) has the Portuguese ended on the losing side in the Premier League more than he has against the Hammers (three).
- Since leaving United in 2014, West Ham boss Moyes has failed to win any of his seven games against the Red Devils in all competitions (D2 L5).
- United are unbeaten in 28 Premier League away games, the longest ever run without defeat on the road in English league history. The Red Devils have conceded just 19 goals in this run, keeping 13 clean sheets in the process.
- United have won their last two Premier League meetings with West Ham, last winning three in a row against the Hammers in September 2014.
Updated September 18, 2021