Newcastle United-Wolverhampton Preview
Newcastle United head coach Eddie Howe is "very keen" for new striker Alexander Isak to make his debut, ideally on Sunday away at Wolves.
Isak signed for the Magpies from Real Sociedad in a deal reported to be worth up to £60million, smashing the club's record transfer. And Howe is hoping the Sweden international will be available to make his debut against Wolves this weekend.
"Fingers crossed (he can play Sunday)," Howe told reporters. "There's no guarantee with these things as it's in other people's hands. But hopefully. He will probably need to train with us in the next two days to be available to play. We're very keen to see him get involved as quickly as possible.
"The English game will suit his profile. Technically very good and I think he has a host of things going for him. His best years are ahead of him."
Newcastle are unbeaten in their opening three matches and will face a Wolves team on Sunday who are winless so far this campaign. But head coach Bruno Lage has been pleased with the performances, if not the results, so far this season.
"It was a good week for us, two good performances by us, the signs are there," Lage said. "There were good signals in those two performances. We are in a good moment and we need to give rhythm to everyone.
"What makes me confident is the good signals the team are making. Now it's a question of time. I'm very confident in the team we are building up and now it is time for us to work with the team to get them to play at the level we want."
Wolves – Ruben Neves
No player has had more shots from outside the box in the Premier League this season than Neves (six), contributing to Wolves' total of 23, a league-high. The Portugal international has scored some spectacular goals since his Premier League debut. Can he add another here?
Newcastle United – Allan Saint-Maximin
Since his Premier League debut in August 2019, Saint-Maximin has provided more than twice as many assists in the competition than any other Newcastle player (15), with the Frenchman also assisting twice last time out against Manchester City. Wolves will have their hands full with Saint-Maximin and will have to keep him quiet if they want to earn their first three points of the season.
- Newcastle have scored in all 14 of their Premier League games against Wolves, their best 100 per cent scoring rate in the competition. However, they have only kept one clean sheet in these games, though it was the last such meeting in April last season (1-0).
- Wolves are without a win in their last 10 Premier League matches (D3 L7), the longest ongoing such run among the 20 current sides in the competition. Indeed, it is Wolves' longest winless league streak since March 2013 in the Championship (run of 12).
- Newcastle United are unbeaten in their three Premier League games this season (W1 D2), last enjoying a four-match unbeaten start to a league season back in 2011-12 (first 11), going on to finish 5th.
- In 2022, only Liverpool (53), Manchester City (50) and Tottenham Hotspur (48) have won more Premier League points than Newcastle (43). Their 13 wins in 2022 is already their most since 2019 (15) and five more than they managed in 2021 (eight).
- Wolves won 2-1 at home and lost 1-0 away to Newcastle last season – it was the first time in their seventh Premier League campaign together that neither meeting between the sides finished in a draw.
Updated August 27, 2022