Ducks' Kesler expected to miss upcoming season after surgery
ANAHEIM, Calif. (AP) Anaheim Ducks center Ryan Kesler is expected to miss the upcoming season after undergoing right hip resurfacing surgery last week.
The Ducks said the surgery was performed May 9 by Dr. Edwin Su in New York. The procedure is less invasive than a full hip replacement and does allow for the possibility for the 34-year old Kesler to resume his career following a lengthy recovery.
"At this point in my career, this surgery was the best option for my quality of life," Kesler said in a statement issued by the Ducks. "The pain I was suffering has been greatly reduced since the procedure, and I'm grateful for that. While my playing future is unknown, I'm in a good place."
The 15-year veteran - who played in his 1,000th game last season - also underwent hip surgery in 2017. He had three goals and five assists in 60 games last season.
Kesler was the 23rd overall selection by Vancouver in the 2003 NHL draft and spent 10 seasons with the Canucks. He won the Selke Trophy in 2010-11, which is awarded to the league's top defensive forward. Kesler was traded to the Ducks in 2014 and has been a two-time Selke finalist in his five seasons in Anaheim. He has 258 goals and 315 assists in 1,001 games.
General manager Bob Murray said in a statement the organization will support any decision he makes regarding his future.
"As we all know, Ryan has been fiercely battling his condition for quite some time," Murray added. "I've been extremely impressed by his determination to play despite being significantly injured. At this point, Ryan needs to think about his life and family."
The Ducks missed the playoffs for the first time since 2012 and still have not filled their coaching vacancy. Dallas Eakins, who coaches the team's AHL affiliate, is the favorite.
More AP NHL: https://apnews.com/NHL and https://twitter.com/AP-Sports
Updated May 13, 2019